Denton, north carolina
In 2004 the congregation broke from the United Methodist Conference, becoming an independent fellowship. While the congregation’s heritage had grown out of the Methodist traditions, it was clear that God was leading us from the past into a more spiritually prosperous future. In 2012 Salem became affiliated with the Association of Independent Methodists (AIM) to be connected with other churches of like-minded faith, missions outreach and congregational support.
The Methodist Society established the congregation of Salem in 1818 in a small community called Farmer, North Carolina. In the beginning, the church met in Russell’s school house, a one room school, located up the road from the church site of today. In 1881, the second and current church sanctuary was constructed. Two Sunday school classes were added in 1953. In 2004, the sanctuary was updated. In 2006, a fellowship hall was added along with remodeled classrooms.